The managerial stress of project managers is one of the leading causes of failed projects. It may also affect the work-life balance, personal life, family relationships, and personal health negatively. The project manager is responsible for the success or failure of a project, which means that the stress on managers is also higher than that on other employees. Small businesses use team management software for reducing the managerial stress. However, the benefits of team management software go beyond task management and assignment.
The Yerkes-Dodson Curve on Stress
The Yerkes-Dodson Curve explains three stages of stress. We will implement the Yerkes-Dodson Curve on project management.
BORED – It is the condition when the managers are calm and looking forward to improvements. Usually, the managers are bored when they have less work stress and task management responsibilities. Their performance is 40%–60% at this stage.
EUSTRESS – The project managers show optimal performance at this stage when they are focused, energized, and work effortlessly.
DISTRESS – The managerial performance reduces when the managers have too much work load, causing fatigue, exhaustion, loss of health, and ultimately breakdown.
It is quite evident from the given model that work load is the primary factor in causing stress and distress among the project managers. Here is a lowdown on the impact of managerial stress on an organizations performance and its solution.
The Cost of Managerial Stress
According to a Forbes article, workplace stress has caused a damage of $190Bn to the US healthcare costs in 2015. These include self-reported physical and mental problems and high mortality rate. While this is the national healthcare cost estimation due to workplace stress, the cost of damage to the organization is higher. Managerial stress causes distress among the employees and leads to high turnover and recruitments costs to the organization. It also leads to high absenteeism. The productivity of the employees reduces and the employees have higher health and safety issues, leading to high accidental and insurance costs for the organizations. It also causes reputational damage to the organization. The organization needs to hire new employees and spend more money on their training.
Is Team Management Software Useful
The culture of managerial stress and all costs related to it can be reduced by reducing the workload on the managers, which is certainly the most important task for higher management. The work stress on managers can be reduced by using team management software, which offers the following benefits.
- The agile task management function allows the managers to manage their employees through distance operations scheme.
- The team management software prepares the to-do lists of the employees based on their data. The team management software not only performs the function of task management but it also reminds the employees about pending tasks, based on priority order.
- The team management software prepares an employee performance report at the end of the day. The well-research report provides a detailed analysis of the employee activities throughout the day, providing a clear outline of the most time-consuming activities. It allows the managers in task management and assignment of the tasks to suitable employees.
- The team management software tracks the time required to complete an assigned task.
- Its task management function also includes task reporting function, which contains graphical and visual illustrations of all the information related with employee performance.
- The team communication function allows flexible distribution of information and documents, which reduces the time required for individual communication.
The team management software is more beneficial than just task management. By reducing managerial stress, it improve employee presence at workplace, reduce employee health expenses, and allows the managers to adapt a proactive-creative approach for boosting productivity and profits.